The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

edit: ok official terminology according to SAE J3016 would be "partial automation", i. e. level 2, as the driver has to monitor everything at all times.

Isn't Mercedes the first company to get approval for level 3? And that's only for speeds up to 60km/h and on highways, so it sounds much more realistic than Musk's full-of-himself driving tech.

Isn't Mercedes the first company to get approval for level 3? And that's only for speeds up to 60km/h and on highways, so it sounds much more realistic than Musk's full-of-himself driving tech.
Yes, I think BMW does it too now, and Mercedes have got permission for higher speeds now - otherwise the whole thing would’ve been completely useless no? 🙈

That might depend on where the approval was granted. According to this article on the Wikipedia, Honda was first.

In 2021, Honda was the first manufacturer to sell an SAE Level 3 car,[9][10][11] followed by Mercedes-Benz in 2023.

Yes, I think BMW does it too now, and Mercedes have got permission for higher speeds now - otherwise the whole thing would’ve been completely useless no? 🙈

You do have to start somewhere and progress. 😉 I wouldn’t mind that sort of driving assistance for the inevitable traffic jams on Germany’s highways and to be honest, I’d much rather take over from the computers when traffic starts moving at a bit of speed… but possibly that’s just me being an occasional driver.

In Tesla Autopilot probe, US prosecutors focus on securities, wire fraud​

US seeks information from Tesla on how it developed and verified whether Autopilot recall worked​

Despite Elon Musk's criticisms, Tesla might use lidar sensors after all​

Elon Musk's piggy bank​

Surprise, surprise: apparently at least a Portion of the team responsible for the superchargers will be rehired...
turns out firing everyone involved in the most successful part of the business was not a smart move? weird!*
... could've fired all those people in HR instead that were needed to process all the firing and hiring this caused :|

* honestly though, can anyone try to explain this as a rational move? are they trying to re-hire them at lower salaries or something?

My 2 cents : Tesla was (too) agressive when setting prices for fast charging, and are now realising too late that they’re making money too slowly? They’re charging less for 250kw chargers than some 11 kw ac chargers (at least where I live)

Which would also explain the opening of the network to *shock* non Tesla’s…

Even at high(er) prices, its still damn difficult to make money off fast charging at the moment

turns out firing everyone involved in the most successful part of the business was not a smart move? weird!*
... could've fired all those people in HR instead that were needed to process all the firing and hiring this caused :|

* honestly though, can anyone try to explain this as a rational move? are they trying to re-hire them at lower salaries or something?

He warned before if people weren't hardcore he would sack them. So commit to being a slave for the leader...

One thing some industry experts say is that they need new models, have cash on hand to do it, but don't!

Musk's SpaceX is quick to build in Texas, slow to pay its bills​

How can you rationalize what an irrational individual is doing?

My 2 cents : Tesla was (too) agressive when setting prices for fast charging, and are now realising too late that they’re making money too slowly? They’re charging less for 250kw chargers than some 11 kw ac chargers (at least where I live)
The weird thing is… at first the superchargers were run at a loss in order to sell the cars. Now though, they’re very much run as a profit center and prices for charging were raised during the energy crisis… but they dropped them back down. Much further than they would need to in order to be competitive. Cause as you say, the SC are actually cheaper than most public slow charging, not to speak of other high power offerings. It’s pretty strange. Either they’re happy with the money they’re making now and being much more price efficient than all other CPOs, for whatever reason (does not compute), OR they’re running this aggressive pricing strategy in order to beat and ruin the competition. Which somehow doesn’t seem to be working over here. US may be a very different story in that regard… with everyone adopting their dumb ass connector and heading straight for a charging monopoly… Oligopoly… whatever something like that

How can you rationalize what an irrational individual is doing?
Yeah… fair 🤣